Handbook of musical identities / Raymond MacDonald, David J. Hargreaves, and Dorothy Miell
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- MacDonald, Raymond A. R., Hargreaves, David J. (David John), 1948-, and Miell, Dorothy
- Machine generated contents note: SECTION 1 EDITORS' INTRODUCTION -- 1.The changing identity of musical identities / Dorothy Miell -- SECTION 2 SOCIOLOGICAL, DISCURSIVE, AND NARRATIVE APPROACHES -- 2.Identities and musics: reclaiming personhood / Marissa Silverman -- 3.Music-ecology and everyday action: creating, changing, and contesting identities / Tia DeNora -- 4.From small stories: laying the foundations for narrative identities in and through music / Margaret S. Barrett -- 5.Young people's musical lives: learning ecologies, identities, and connectedness / Susan A. O'Neill -- 6.The ear of the beholder: improvisation, ambiguity, and social contexts in the constructions of musical identities / Raymond MacDonald -- 7.Post-national identities in music: acting in a global intertextual musical arena / Goran Folkestad -- 8."Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?": identity in popular music / Chris McVittie -- SECTION 3 DEVELOPMENT -- 9.The musical self: affections for life in a community of sound / Stephen Malloch -- 10.Musical identity, interest, and involvement / Alexandra Lamont -- 11.Building musical self-identity in early infancy / Johannella Tafuri -- 12.Processes of musical identity consolidation during adolescence / Gary E. McPherson -- 13.The moving and movement identities of adolescents: lessons from dance movement psychotherapy in a mainstream secondary school / Julie Joseph -- SECTION 4 INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES -- 14.Musical identities, music preferences, and individual differences / Kate C. McLean -- 15.From musical experience to musical identity: musical self-concept as a mediating psychological structure / Maria B. Spychiger -- 16.Defining the musical identity of "non-musicians" / TanChyuan Chin -- 17.The social psychological underpinnings of musical identities: a study on how personality stereotypes are formed from musical cues / Peter J. Rentfrow -- 18.Musical identity and individual differences in empathy / Emery Schubert -- SECTION 5 MUSICAL INSTITUTIONS AND PRACTITIONERS -- 19.Impersonating the music in performance / John Rink -- 20.Performance identity / Jane W. Davidson -- 21.Imagining identifications: how musicians align their practices with publics / Byron Dueck -- 22.Patterns of sociohistorical interaction between musical identity and technology / Adam Linson -- 23.Who am I? The process of identity renegotiation for opera choristers following redundancy / Paul Flowers -- 24.Re-authoring the self: therapeutic songwriting in identity work / Raymond MacDonald -- 25.Staying one step ahead?: The self-identity of Japanese concert promoters / Martin Cloonan -- SECTION 6 EDUCATION -- 26.Musical identity, learning, and teaching / Susan Hallam -- 27.Identity formation and agency in the diverse music classroom / Sidsel Karlsen -- 28.Music in identity in adolescence across school transition / Marion Long -- 29.Children's ethnic identities, cultural diversity, and music education / Beatriz Ilari -- 30.The identities of singers and their educational environments / Graham F. Welch -- 31.Music games and musical identities / Anna M. J. M. Paisley -- SECTION 7 HEALTH AND WELL-BEING -- 32.Music, identity, and health / Even Ruud -- 33.Musical identity in fostering emotional health / Suvi Saarikallio -- 34.Music-making in therapeutic contexts: reframing identity following disruptions to health / Wendy L. Magee -- 35.Identity and musical development in people with severe or profound and multiple learning difficulties / John Vorhaus -- 36."I would the without my music": relying on musical identities to cope with difficult times / Cherry Hense -- 37.On musical identities, social pharmacology, and intervention timing in music therapy / Olivier Brabant -- SECTION 8 CASE STUDIES -- 38.The imaginary African: race, identity, and Samuel Coleridge-Taylor / Nicholas Cook -- 39.The identities of Sevda: from Graeco-Arabic medicine to music therapy / Nigel Osborne -- 40.Musical identities, resilience, and wellbeing: the effects of music on displaced children in Colombia / David J. Hargreaves -- 41.Music of Englishness: national identity and the first folk revival / Katie Palmer Heathman -- 42.Sistema Scotland: emerging musical identities in Big Noise, Raploch / Richard Holloway -- 43.Musical identities in Australia and South Korea and new identities emerging through social media and digital technology / Robert Walker -- 44.Identity, music, and festivity in southern Tunisia / Alan Karass.
- 'The Handbook of Musical Identities' explores three features of psychological approaches to musical identities and four real-life contexts in which musical identities have been investigated. The multidisciplinary breadth of the handbook reflects the changes that are taking place in music, in digital technology, and in their role in society.
- 9780191759994 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28940506