An obituary for "wisdom literature" : the birth, death, and intertextual reintegration of a Biblical corpus / Will Kynes
- Kynes, Will, 1981-
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2018.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white)
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Historical Metacriticism -- 1.The Rise and Impending Demise of Wisdom Literature: The Modern Scholarly Wisdom Tradition and the Threat of Pan-Sapientialism -- 2.The Ancestry of Wisdom Literature: Ancient Tradition or Modern Invention? -- 3.The Birth of Wisdom Literature: The Nineteenth-Century Origin of the Wisdom Corpus -- pt. II Genre Methodology -- 4.The Universe of Texts: The Intertextual Network of Genres from Multiple Perspectives -- pt. III The Reintegration of Wisdom Literature -- 5.The Intertextual Network of Job and the Selective Nature of Genre -- 6.The Intertextual Network of Ecclesiastes and the Self-Reflective Nature of Genre -- 7.The Intertextual Network of Proverbs and the Subjective Nature of Genre.
- This work proposes a radical solution to the problems plaguing the interpretation of Wisdom literature. Kynes identifies the historical origin of the category and critically assesses its development and distorting effect on interpretation.
- 9780191823091 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28941240