Gregorius [electronic resource] : an incestuous saint in Medieval Europe and beyond / Brian Murdoch
- Murdoch, Brian, 1944-
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 269 pages)
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Hystoria Rara, sed Graciosa -- 2.France and England: Saint Gregoire and Seynt Gregory -- 3.Germany: Hartmann's Gregorius and the Latin Poems -- 4.A European Prose Tradition: Hagiography, Exempla, and the Gesta Romanorum -- 5.Degenerations: Chap-Books, Plays, Late Legends, and Folktales -- 6.From the Romantics to Thomas Mann and Beyond -- 7.Invisible Sin.
- The story of the apocryphal pope and saint, Gregorius was extremely popular throughout the Middle Ages and later in Europe and beyond. This book traces the story from its English or French origins through its many variations from Iceland to Egypt and from the 12th to the 21st century.
- 9780191745737 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28942039