Everyday religion [electronic resource] : observing modern religious lives / edited by Nancy T. Ammerman
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 243 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Ammerman, Nancy Tatom, 1950-
- Machine generated contents note: Introduction : observing modern religious lives / Nancy T. Ammerman -- 1.Vicarious religion : a methodological challenge / Grace Davie -- 2.Religion as communication : the changing shape of Catholicism in Europe / Enzo Pace -- 3.The new voluntarism and the case of unsynagogued Jews / Lynn Davidman -- 4.Religion, twice removed : exploring the role of media in religious understandings among "secular" young people / Lynn Schofield Clark -- 5.Virtually boundless? : youth negotiating tradition in cyberspace / Mia Lovheim -- 6.Redefining the boundaries of belonging : the transnationalization of religious life / Peggy Levitt -- 7.When a funeral isn't just a funeral : the layered meaning of everyday action / Ziad Munson -- 8.A place on the map : communicating religious presence in civic life / Paul Lichterman -- 9.Connections and contradictions : exploring the complex linkages between faith and family / John P. Bartkowski -- 10.Beyond literalism : reflexive spirituality and religious meaning / Kelly Besecke -- 11.Embodied practices : negotiation and resistance / Meredith McGuire -- 12.Touching the transcendent : rethinking religious experience in the sociological study of religion / Courtney J. Bender.
- Attempting to let 'everyday religion' raise critical questions about how we understand the role of religion in society, this book examines the social circumstances of religion's presence and absence.
- 9780199785094 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28942516