Without benefit of clergy [electronic resource] : women and the pastoral relationship in nineteenth-century American culture / Karin E. Gedge
- Gedge, Karin E. (Karin Erdevig), 1949-
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (viii, 290 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates) : illustrations, facsimiles, portraits
- Religion in America series
- The common view of the 19th century pastoral relationship, was that women and clergymen formed a natural alliance. In this book, Karin Gedge tests this thesis by examining the pastoral relationship from the perspective of the minister, the female parishioner, and the larger culture.
- 9780199835157 (ebook) and 0199835152 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28942649