Being young and Muslim [electronic resource] : new cultural politics in the global south and north / edited by Linda Herrera and Asef Bayat
- New York ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Herrera, Linda, 1964- and Bayat, Asef
- Religion and global politics series
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction: Being Young and Muslim in Neoliberal Times / Linda Herrera -- pt. I Politics of Dissent -- 2.Muslim Youth and the Claim of Youthfulness / Asef Bayat -- 3.The Drama of Jihad: The Emergence of Salafi Youth in Indonesia / Noorhaidi Hasan -- 4.Moroccan Youth and Political Islam / Mounia Bennani-Chraibi -- 5.Rebels without a Cause?: A Politics of Deviance in Saudi Arabia / Pascal Menoret -- 6.The Battle of the Ages: Contests for Religious Authority in The Gambia / Marloes Janson -- 7.Cyber Resistance: Palestinian Youth and Emerging Internet Culture / Makram Khoury-Machool -- pt. II Livelihoods and Lifestyles -- 8.Young Egyptians' Quest for Jobs and Justice / Linda Herrera -- 9.Reaching a Larger World: Muslim Youth and Expanding Circuits of Operation / Abdou Maliq Simone -- 10.Being Young, Muslim, and American in Brooklyn / Moustafa Bayoumi -- pt. III Strivings for Citizenship -- 11."Also the School is a Temple": Republicanism, Imagined Transnational Spaces, and the Schooling of Muslim Youth in France / Andre Elias Mazawi -- 12.Avoiding "Youthfulness?": Young Muslims Negotiating Gender and Citizenship in France and Germany / Schirin Amir-Moazami -- 13.Struggles over Defining the Moral City: The Problem Called "Youth" in Urban Iran / Azam Khatam -- pt. IV Navigating Identities -- 14.Securing Futures: Youth, Generation, and Muslim Identities in Niger / Adeline Masquelier -- 15."Rasta" Sufis and Muslim Youth Culture in Mali / Benjamin F. Soares -- 16.Performance, Politics, and Visceral Transformation: Post-Islamist Youth in Turkey / Ayse Saktanber -- 17.Negotiating with Modernity: Young Women and Sexuality in Iran / Fatemeh Sadeghi -- pt. V Musical Politics -- 18.Fun[ˆ]Da[ˆ]Mental's "Jihad Rap" / Ted Swedenburg -- 19.Maroc-Hop: Music and Youth Identities in the Netherlands / Miriam Gazzah -- 20.Heavy Metal in the Middle East: New Urban Spaces in a Translocal Underground / Pierre Hecker -- 21.Music VCDs and the New Generation: Negotiating Youth, Femininity, and Islam in Indonesia / Suzanne Naafs -- 22.Conclusion: Knowing Muslim Youth / Asef Bayat.
- This volume explores the ways in which the young, both in Muslim majority societies and Muslim communities in the West, negotiate their Muslim identity in relation to their youthful desires - their individuality, the search for autonomy and security for the future.
- 9780199871179 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28942956