An unpredictable Gospel [electronic resource] : American evangelicals and world Christianity, 1812-1920 / Jay Riley Case
- Case, Jay Riley
- New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 311 pages) : illustrations, portraits
- Machine generated contents note: PART ONE -- 1.American Baptists and the "Wild" Karen People of Burma -- 2.The Challenge of Karen Christianity -- 3.The Native Ministry in the United States -- PART TWO -- 4.An Appalachian Revivalist in Queen Victoria's Colonies -- 5.The Circuit-Riding Missionary and Gilded Age Methodism -- PART THREE -- 6.The African-American Great Awakening -- 7.The AME Church and South Africa -- PART FOUR -- 8.Holiness Conversions -- 9.And Ever the Twain Shall Meet.
- Jay Case examines the efforts of American evangelical missionaries, arguing that if they were agents of imperialism they were poor ones. Western missionaries had a dismal record of converting non-Westerners to Christianity.
- 9780199932528 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28943106