Rule by aesthetics : world-class city making in Delhi / Asher Ghertner
- Ghertner, D. Asher
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white)
- Machine generated contents note: 1.World-Class City Making -- 2.Gentrifying the State: Governing Through Property -- 3.Nuisance Talk: From Sensory Disgust to Urban Abjection -- 4.Aesthetic Criminalization: The Nuisance of Slums -- 5.World-Class Detritus: The Sense of Unbelonging -- 6.The Propriety of Property: Resettlement and the Pursuit of Belonging.
- 'Rule by Aesthetics' draws on extensive fieldwork in Delhi's slums, courtrooms and state offices to shed fresh light on the violent underpinnings of contemporary city making. Presenting a new theory of urban power, Ghertner shows how aesthetic codes replaced conventional city planning tools in Delhi's millennial slum clearance drive.
- 9780190263324 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28943537