A common purpose / Screen Australia, Screen NSW and Looking Glass Pictures present ; a film by Mitzi Goldman ; director/producer, Mitzi Goldman ; director (South Africa), Steve Pasvolsky
- [Brooklyn, New York] : [Distributed by] Icarus Films, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (54 min.) : digital, sound, color with black and white sequences
- Additional Creators:
- Goldman, Mitzi, Pasvolsky, Steve, Durbach, Andrea, 1957-, Screen Australia, Screen NSW (New South Wales), Looking Glass Pictures, and Icarus Films
- Language Note:
- In English with English subtitles.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- Twenty-five people are convicted of the murder of one man, fourteen are sentenced to hang, one lawyer is assassinated and the other goes into exile. A Common Purpose is the dramatic story behind a notorious murder trial that marks South Africa's transition from apartheid to democracy. Told through the perspectives of defence lawyer, Andrea Durbach, Independent journalist John Carlin and the accused, the story unfolds to reveal one of legal history's biggest cases on the death penalty. A Common Purpose tells a timeless and inspirational story about a struggle for justice in a country where injustice was entrenched in the law.
- Capital punishment—South Africa—Case studies
- Apartheid—South Africa—Case studies
- Judicial error—South Africa—Case studies
- Justice, Administration of—South Africa—Case studies
- Trials (Murder)—South Africa—Upington—Case studies
- Murder—South Africa—Upington—Case studies
- Upington (South Africa)—Race relations
- Interest Grade:
- 8 and up.
- Title from title frames.
Based on the book Upington by Andrea Durbach. St. Leonards, N.S.W. : Allen & Unwin, 1999.
Originally produced by: Screen Australia, Screen NSW and Looking Glass Pictures, ©2011; previously released in 2014.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Editor, Hilary Balmond ; camera/sound, Ezra Jwili (South Africa) ; original score, Mark Ginsburg & Ryan Grogan.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Featuring, Andrea Durbach.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: Firefox 4 and up; Safari 5.0 and up; Chrome version 21 and up; Internet Explorer 8 and up; Flash or HTML5 player.
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 28943933