It takes a village ... / TVE International ; BBC Worldwide ; written and directed by Ashley Bruce
- [Oley, Pennsylvania] : [Distributed by] Bullfrog Films, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (23 min.) : digital, sound, color
- Additional Creators:
- Bruce, Ashley, Heath, Michael, Meer, Riaz, Iqbal, Muhammad, Sir, 1877-1938, Legge, David, Houssain, Moazzem, Peattie, Siobhan, Mohuripara, Isahaque, Nahar, Ainun, Rahman, Zillur, 1938-, Nazma, Nandita, Richards, Jenny (Film producer), Definitive Break (Musical group), BBC Worldwide Ltd, Television Trust for the Environment, and Bullfrog Films
- Life Series 3 ; 6
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- In 1991 a devastating cyclone struck the district of Chakaria in western Bangladesh. Foreign aid flooded into the region in the wake of that disaster, bringing much needed food, drugs, and other supplies. But in what is still a very conservative Muslim region, the very same aid bred dependency and mistrust. What was needed in Chakaria was a real experiment in community participation, one in which the villagers could decide what kind of health services were necessary, and then take it upon themselves to facilitate those services. With this in mind, community doctor Moazzem Houssain from the International Centre of Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh (ICDDR.B) took up residence in Chakaria to work with the villagers on the construction of the district's first-ever health center.
- Interest Grade:
- 7 and up.
- Title from title frames., Originally produced by: TVE, ©2002; previously released in 2003., and Series number from container.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Music, The Definitive Break ; editor, Riaz Meer ; series editor, Jenny Richards.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Commentary: Michael Heath with: Mohammed Iqbal, David Legge, Moazzem Houssain, Siobhan Peattie, Isahaque Mohuripara, Ainun Nahar, Zillur Rahman, Nandita Nazma.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: Firefox 4 and up; Safari 5.0 and up; Chrome version 21 and up; Internet Explorer 8 and up; Flash or HTML5 player. and Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 28944944