Power to heal : Medicare and the civil rights revolution / a film by Barbara Berney ; produced by Barbara Berney, Roberta Friedman, Daniel Loewenthal ; directed by Charles Burnett & Daniel Loewenthal ; writer and contributing producer, Anna Reid Jhirad ; a co-production of BLB Productions, LLC and WETA Washington, D.C.
- [Oley, Pennsylvania] : [Distributed by] Bullfrog Films, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (56 min.) : digital, sound, color with black and white sequences
- Additional Creators:
- Glover, Danny, Berney, Barbara (Barbara L.), Burnett, Charles, 1944-, Friedman, Roberta, Loewenthal, Daniel, Reid-Jhirad, Anna, Taylor, Stephen James, BLB Productions (Firm), WETA-TV (Television station : Washington, D.C.), and Bullfrog Films
- Language Note:
- Closed captioning available.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- Power To Heal tells a poignant chapter in the historic struggle to secure equal and adequate access to healthcare for all Americans. Central to the story is the tale of how a new national program, Medicare, was used to mount a dramatic, coordinated effort that desegregated thousands of hospitals across the country in a matter of months. The film illustrates how Movement leaders and grass-roots volunteers pressed and worked with the federal government to achieve justice and fairness for African-Americans.
- Interest Grade:
- 9 and up.
- Title from title frames.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Additional writing, Martin Dornbaum, Leslie Clark, David Barton Smith ; music by Stephen James Taylor ; edited by Daniel Loewenthal ; co-editor, Michele Zarbafian ; camera, Alex Allgood [and 9 others].
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Narrated by Danny Glover.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: Firefox 4 and up; Safari 5.0 and up; Chrome version 21 and up; Internet Explorer 8 and up; Flash or HTML5 player.
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 28945305