Balancing acts / produced by Television Trust for the Environment in association with Women Broadcasting for Change ; a presentation of Bullfrog Films ; executive producer Brenda Kelly ; series consultant Jenny Richards ; produced by Di Tatham ; directed by Beena Sarwar, Rabia Hashimi, Ingolo wa Keya, Sandra Mbanefo Obiago
- Additional Titles:
- At head of title on landing page: Reel to real
- [Oley, Pennsylvania] : [Distributed by] Bullfrog Films, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (23 min.) : digital, sound, color
- Additional Creators:
- Richards, Jenny (Film producer), Kelly, Brenda, Tatham, Di, Sarwar, Beena, Hashimi, Rabia, Ingolo wa Keya, Obiago, Sandra Mbanefo, Collonge, Cecile, Bower, Dick (Richard), Andoh, Adjoh, Television Trust for the Environment, Women Broadcasting for Change, Bullfrog Films, and BBC Worldwide Ltd
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- In 1994, 179 government leaders attending the Cairo International Conference on Population and Development signed a groundbreaking agreement aimed at improving the lives of women worldwide. Balancing Acts--the first in a duo of Life programs made in collaboration with women broadcasters and producers around the world to mark the 10th anniversary of that conference--explores how women from very different cultures, often faced with extremes of inequality, are taking on the status quo. Individual stories look at how Afghani women refugees are returning to pick up the pieces of their lives in Kabul; the feisty female entrepreneurs of Nigeria known as 'Mama Benz' who, despite owning an estimated 50 per cent of the country's small businesses, are denied recognition of their contribution to the economy; a teenager battling purdah to get an education in Pakistan; and the 'inherited widows' who are challenging convention in Kenya. Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland and UN Commissioner for Human Rights, provides an overview of the state of women's rights worldwide--and why they are so crucial to social and economic development.
- Related Titles:
- Lifeonline (Television program)
- Interest Grade:
- 7 and up.
- Title from title frames.
Originally produced by: TVE, ©2004; previously released in 2005.
Originally broadcast on the television program Lifeonline.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Editor, Cecile Collonge ; series producer, Dick Bower.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Commentary: Adjoh Andoh.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: Firefox 4 and up; Safari 5.0 and up; Chrome version 21 and up; Internet Explorer 8 and up; Flash or HTML5 player.
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 28945339