The storytelling class / Sedna Pictures presents ; a film by John Paskievich & John Whiteway ; written, directed and edited by John Paskievich, John Whiteway ; producers, John Paskievich, John Whiteway ; produced and developed in association with OMNI Television, a division of Rogers Communications
- [Oley, Pennsylvania] : [Distributed by Bullfrog Films], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (59 min.) : digital, sound, color
- Additional Creators:
- Paskievich, John, Whiteway, John, Beah, Ishmael, 1980-, OMNI Television, Sedna Pictures, and Bullfrog Films
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- Located in Winnipeg's downtown core, Gordon Bell High School is probably the most culturally varied school in the city, with 58 different languages spoken by the student body. Many students are children who have arrived as refugees from various war torn areas of the world. In an effort to build bridges of friendship and belonging across cultures and histories, teacher Marc Kuly initiated an after-school storytelling project whereby the immigrant students would share stories with their Canadian peers. The catalyst for this cross-cultural interaction was the students' reading of A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah, a memoir of Beah's horrific time as a child soldier in Sierra Leone's civil war. These voluntary after-school meetings take dramatic turns and reach their climax when Ishmael Beah and professional storyteller Laura Simms travel from New York to work with them. With their help the students learn to listen to each other and find the commonality that had so long eluded them.
- Interest Grade:
- 10 and up.
- Title from title frames.
Originally produced by: Sedna Pictures, Inc., ©2009; previously released in 2010.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Camera, John Paskievich ; original music, Norman Dugas.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: Firefox 4 and up; Safari 5.0 and up; Chrome version 21 and up; Internet Explorer 8 and up; Flash or HTML5 player.
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 28945485