Albert Bierstadt : witness to a changing West / Peter H. Hassrick ; with contributions by Arthur Amiotte [and five others] ; foreword by Bruce B. Eldredge
- Hassrick, Peter H.
- Norman : University of Oklahoma Press ; Cody, Wyoming : In cooperation with the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 217 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 28 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Eldredge, Bruce B., Buffalo Bill Center of the West, and Thomas Gilcrease Institute of American History and Art
- Foreword / Bruce B. Eldredge -- Prologue : Enduring Relationships - Indigenous Plains People and the Bison / Arthur Amiotte -- Acknowledgments -- Introduction / Karen McWhorter -- "A Different Class of Mountains" : Albert Bierstadt's Remarkable Career and Critical Reception / Laura F. Fry -- Albert Bierstadt : Witness to a Changing West / Peter H. Hassrick -- Art, Ethnography, and Politics : The Transnational Context of Bierstadt's The Last of the Buffalo in Paris / Emily C. Burns -- Albert Bierstadt : Animal Painter / Melissa W. Speidel -- Silence and Emptiness : The American Plains in the Age of Bierstadt / Dan L. Flores.
- As one of America's most prominent nineteenth-century painters, Albert Bierstadt (1830-1902) is justly renowned for his majestic paintings of the western landscape. Yet Bierstadt was also a painter of history, and his figural works, replete with images of Plains Indians and the American bison, are an important part of his legacy as well. This full-color volume highlights his achievements in chronicling a rapidly changing American West. Exhibition: Buffalo Bill Centre of the West, Cody, USA (08.06.-30.09.2018).
- 9780806160047 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
0806160047 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
9780806160054 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
0806160055 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 203-206) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28947446