The shadow of Vesuvius : a life of Pliny / Daisy Dunn
- Dunn, Daisy
- Uniform Title:
- In the shadow of Vesuvius
- New York : Liveright Publishing Corporation, 2019.
- Copyright Date:
- First American edition.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 318 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Part one: Aut-Prologue. Darker than Night -- Roots and Trees; Part two: Winter. Illusions of Immortality -- To Be Alive is to Be Awake -- Solitary as an Oyster -- The Gift of Poison; Part three: Spring. Pliniana -- The Shadow of Verona -- Portrait of a Man -- The Death of Principle; Part four: Summer. The Imitation of Nature -- A Difficult, Arduous, Fastidious Thing -- Head, Heart, Womb -- After the Solstice -- Part five: -umn. Life in Concrete -- Depraved Belief; Epilogue: Resurrection; Timeline.
- ""A wonderfully rich, witty, insightful, and wide-ranging portrait of the two Plinys and their world."-Sarah Bakewell, author of How to Live. When Pliny the Elder perished at Stabiae during the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD, he left behind an enormous compendium of knowledge, his thirty-seven-volume Natural History, and a teenaged nephew who revered him as a father. Grieving his loss, Pliny the Younger inherited the Elder's notebooks-filled with pearls of wisdom-and his legacy. At its heart, The Shadow of Vesuvius is a literary biography of the younger man, who would grow up to become a lawyer, senator, poet, collector of villas, and chronicler of the Roman Empire from the dire days of terror under Emperor Domitian to the gentler times of Emperor Trajan. A biography that will appeal to lovers of Mary Beard books, it is also a moving narrative about the profound influence of a father figure on his adopted son. Interweaving the younger Pliny's Letters with extracts from the Elder's Natural History, Daisy Dunn paints a vivid, compellingly readable portrait of two of antiquity's greatest minds"--
- 9781631496394 hardcover
9781631496400 electronic book
- "First published in Britain under the title In the shadow of Vesuvius : a life of Pliny" -- Verso title page.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28948416