The archaeology of mothering [electronic resource] : an African-American midwife's tale / Laurie A. Wilkie
- Wilkie, Laurie A., 1968-
- New York : Routledge, 2003.
- Physical Description:
- xxix, 240 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Why an archaeology of mothering? -- The Perryman family of Mobile -- Narrative interlude -- African-American mothering and enslavement -- Narrative interlude -- Mothering and domesticity in freedom: ideology and practice -- Narrative interlude -- Midwifery as mother's work -- Narrative interlude -- To mother or not to mother -- Narrative interlude -- Midwifery and scientific mothering -- Narrative interlude -- Conclusions: the many ideologies of African-American motherhood.
- 0415945690 (Hardcover : alk. paper)
0415945704 (Paperback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -234) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28950130