Expanding frontiers in South Asian and world history [electronic resource] : essays in honour of John F. Richards / edited by Richard M. Eaton, Munis D. Faruqui, David Gilmartin, Sunil Kumar
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 362 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Eaton, Richard Maxwell, Faruqui, Munis Daniyal, 1967-, Gilmartin, David, 1949-, Kumar, Sunil, 1956-2021, and Richards, John F.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Foreword / Gordon Johnson -- Introduction / David Gilmartin -- At Empire's End : The Nizam, Hyderabad and Eighteenth-Century India / Munis D. Faruqui -- The Ignored Elites : Turks, Mongols and a Persian Secretarial Class in the Early Delhi Sultanate / Sunil Kumar -- "Silk Road, Cotton Road or...Indo-Chinese Trade in Pre-European Times" / Stephen F. Dale -- The Political Economy of Opium Smuggling in Early Nineteenth Century India : Leakage or Resistance? / Claude Markovits -- Opium and the Company : Maritime Trade and Imperial Finances on Java, 1684-1796 / George Bryan Souza -- The Mughals, the Sufi Shaikhs and the Formation of the Akbari Dispensation / Muzaffar Alam -- Notes on Political Thought in Medieval and Early Modern South India / Velcheru Narayana Rao and Sanjay Subrahmanyam -- Becoming Turk the Rajput Way : Conversion and Identity in an Indian Warrior Narrative / Cynthia Talbot -- Nature and Nurture on Imperial China's Frontiers / Peter C. Perdue -- The Frontiers of Memory : What the Marathas Remembered of Vijayanagara / Sumit Guha -- "Kiss My Foot," Said the King : Firearms, Diplomacy, and the Battle for Raichur, 1520 / Richard M. Eaton -- Frontiers of Family Life : Early Modern Atlantic and Indian Ocean Worlds / Patrick Manning -- Chinese Revenue Farms and Borders in Southeast Asia / Carl A. Trocki -- Publications: John Folsom Richards.
- "The essays focus on 'frontiers' in multiple contexts, all relating to John F. Richards's work: frontiers and state building, frontiers and environmental change, cultural frontiers, frontiers and trade and drugs, and frontiers and world history"--Provided by publisher.
- 9781107034280 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28952057