Lethal decisions [electronic resource] : the unnecessary deaths of women and children from HIV/AIDS / Arthur J. Ammann, MD.
- Ammann, Arthur J., 1936-
- Nashville : Vanderbilt University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 376 pages ; 27 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Part 1 : The beginning -- Pediatric HIV/AIDS -- AIDS and blood -- The blood banking industry in denial -- A personal tragedy -- Saving lives : preventing HIV infection in infants -- The denialist movement -- Part 2 : Pediatric AIDS becomes a reality -- Born of necessity : the Pediatric AIDS Foundation -- Priority at last : pediatric HIV/AIDS -- A living legacy : Elizabeth Glaser Scientist Awards -- The Ariel Project : the best, the brightest, and the committed -- Too urgent to wait : the American Foundation for AIDS Research -- What about the rest of the world? the first conference on global strategies for the prevention of HIV transmission from mothers to infants -- Ensuring that voices from low-income countries are heard -- A call to action : the second conference on global strategies for the prevention of HIV transmission from mothers to infants -- From a small beginning to major prevention and care programs -- Why wait? start now -- Going the last mile : the obscure, the neglected, and the desperately needy -- Part 3 : Unexpected obstacles : institutions, therapeutic denialism, and treatment guidelines -- Pediatric AIDS and drug development -- Acronyms and legislative redundancy -- Facts speak louder than words : examining efforts that failed -- Guidelines can become rules -- Treatment guidelines : not without risks -- Part 4 : Stalled : losing sight of the mission -- Damn the ethics, full speed ahead -- The tyranny of research -- Misspent dollars -- For better or for worse? the pediatric AIDS clinical trial group expands -- Turning the corner -- Part 5 : Ending the pediatric HIV/AIDS epidemic -- What went well -- PEPFAR to the rescue -- Solutions.
- "This book chronicles the discovery of AIDS in a handful of infants beginning in 1981 and the remarkable scientific progress in prevention and treatment over the 15 years that followed"--
- 9780826521248 (hardcover : alk. paper)
082652124X (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 339-362) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28953637