The Puerto Rican nation on the move [electronic resource] : identities on the island & in the United States / Jorge Duany
- Duany, Jorge
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 341 pages : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- NetLibrary, Inc
- Bibliographic record display: ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu , Click here to access this electronic book provided through the Access Pennsylvania Database project.
- Introduction: Rethinking colonialism, nationalism, and transnationalism: the case of Puerto Rico -- The construction of cultural identities in Puerto Rico and the diaspora -- The rich gate to future wealth: displaying Puerto Rico at world's fairs -- Representing the newly colonized Puerto Rico in the gaze of American anthropologists, 1898-1915 -- Portraying the other: Puerto Rican images in two American photographic collections -- A postcolonial colony? The rise of cultural nationalism in Puerto Rico during the 1950s -- Collecting the nation: the public representation of Puerto Rico's cultural identity -- Following the migrant citizen: the official discourse on Puerto Rican migration to the United States -- The nation in the diaspora: the reconstruction of the cultural identity of Puerto Rican migrants -- Mobile livelihoods: circular migration, transnational identities and cultural borders between Puerto Rico and the United States -- Neither Black nor White: the representation of racial identity among Puerto Ricans on the island and in the U.S. mainland -- Making Indians out of Blacks: the revitalization of Taino identity in Contemporary Puerto Rico -- Conclusion: Nation, migration, identity.
- Other Subject(s):
- 0807861472 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -329) and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Boulder, Colo. : NetLibrary, 2003. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to NetLibrary affiliated libraries.
- Funding Information:
- This netLibrary electronic book is provided through the Access Pennsylvania Database project, a statewide library union catalog funded by the Pennsylvania Legislature and administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries, Bureau of Library Development.
View MARC record | catkey: 2898952