There's such divinity doth hedge a king : selected essays of Nicolas Wyatt on royal ideology in Ugaritic and Old Testament literature / Nicolas Wyatt
- Wyatt, N. (Nick)
- Aldershot, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate Pub., 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 298 pages ; 24 cm.
- Society for Old Testament Study monographs
- 'Araunah the Jebusite' and the throne of David -- 'Jedidiah' and cognate forms as a title of royal legitimization -- Cain's wife -- The hollow crown : ambivalent elements in West Semitic royal ideology -- Echoes of the king and his ka : an ideological motif in the story of Solomon's birth -- When Adam delved : the meaning of Genesis 3:23 -- 'Supposing Him to be the gardener' (John 20:15) : a study of the paradise motif in John -- The meaning of El Roi and the mythological dimension of Genesis 16 -- The theogony motif in Ugarit and the Bible -- The liturgical context of Psalm 19 and its mythical and ritual origins -- Ilimilku's ideological programme : Ugaritic royal propaganda, and a biblical postscript -- Arms and the king : the earliest allusions to the Chaoskampf motif and their implications for the interpretation of the Ugaritic and biblical traditions -- Degrees of divinity : some mythical and ritual aspects of West Semitic kingship -- Ilimilku the theologian : the ideological roles of Athtar and Baal in KTU 1.1 and 1.6 -- Marriage, mayhem and murder : an everyday story of royal folk.
- 0754653307 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 253-290) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2904134