Weight bias : nature, consequences, and remedies / edited by Kelly D. Brownell [and others].
- New York : Guilford Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 320 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Brownell, Kelly D.
- Introduction: The social, scientific, and human context of prejudice and discrimination based on weight / Kelly D. Brownell -- Part I: Nature and extent of weight bias -- Weight bias in employment / Janna Fikkan and Esther Rothblum -- Bias in health care settings / Anthony N. Fabricatore, Thomas A. Wadden, and Gary D. Foster -- The portrayal of weight in the media and its social impact / Bradley S. Greenberg and Tracy R. Worrell -- Weight bias in a child's world / Janet D. Latner and Marlene B. Schwartz -- Weight bias in a teen's world / Dianne Neumark-Sztainer and Marla Eisenberg -- Part II: Origins, explanations, and measurement -- Attributions and weight-based prejudice / Christian S. Crandall and April Horstman Reser -- Social consensus and the origins of stigma / Gretchen B. Sechrist and Charles Stangor -- Theories of stigma : limitations and needed directions / Eden B. King, Michelle R. Hebl, and Todd F. Heatherton -- Measurement of bias / Bethany A. Teachman and Robyn K. Mallet -- Part III: Consequences of weight bias -- Effects of weight-related teasing in adults / J. Kevin Thompson, Sylvia Herbozo, Susan Himes, and Yuko Yamamiya -- Social consequences of weight bias by partners, friends, and strangers / Jeffrey Sobal -- Self-esteem and the stigma of obesity / Jennifer Crocker and Julie A. Garcia -- Personal reflections on bias, stigma, discrimination, and obesity / Carol A. Johnson -- Part IV: Remedies -- Legal theory on weight discrimination / Elizabeth E. Theran -- Remedies for weight-based discrimination / Sondra Solovay -- Improving medical practice / James L. Early and Judy A. Johnston -- Improving the health care system / Christina C. Wee and Susan Z. Yanovski -- Improving the fitness landscape / Heather O. Chambliss and Steven N. Blair -- Changing media images of weight / Michele Weston and Diane Bliss -- Coping with weight stigma / Rebecca M. Puhl -- Advocacy / Lynn McAfee and Miriam Berg -- Expression of bias against obesity in public policy and its remedies / Morgan Downey -- Summary and concluding remarks / Marlene B. Schwartz and Rebecca M. Puhl.
- 1593851995 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- DUBOIS: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 20056.
View MARC record | catkey: 2908072