Vija Celmins : to fix the image in memory / Gary Garrels ; with contributions from Russell Ferguson, Frances Jacobus-Parker, Suzanne Hudson, Ian Alteveer, Briony Fer, Meredith A. Brown, Nancy Lim
- Garrels, Gary
- Additional Titles:
- To fix the image in memory
- San Francisco, California : San Francisco Museum of Modern Art ; New Haven, Connecticut : in association with Yale University Press, 
Italy : VeronaLibri
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 271 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 31 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Ferguson, Russell
Hudson, Suzanne Perling, 1977-
Brown, Meredith A.
Lim, Nancy (Curatorial assistant)
Celmins, Vija, 1938-
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
Yale University Press
Art Gallery of Ontario
Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Foreword / Neal Benezra and Max Hollein -- Acknowledgments / Gary Garrels and Ian Alteveer -- Lenders to the exhibition -- Vija Celmins : To fix the image in memory / Gary Garrels -- The image found me : Vija Celmins in Los Angeles / Russell Ferguson -- Redescribing the photograph / Frances Jacobus-Parker -- Moving out / Suzanne Hudson -- Longer than anywhere in the world : Vija Celmins on the east coast / Ian Alteveer -- Exercises in abstraction / Briony Fer -- Vija Celmins : In the artist's words / Compiled by Meredith A. Brown -- Chronology -- Exhibition history / Compiled by Nancy Lim -- Selected bibliography / Compiled by Nancy Lim -- Works in the exhibition -- Index.
- Best known for her striking drawings of ocean surfaces, begun in 1968 and revisited over many years both in drawings and paintings, Vija Celmins (b. 1938) has been creating exquisitely detailed renderings of natural imagery for more than five decades. The oceans were followed by desert floors and night skies--all subjects in which vast, expansive distances are distilled into luminous, meticulous, and mesmerizing small-scale artworks. For Celmins, this obsessive "redescribing" of the world is a way to understand human consciousness in relation to lived experience. The first major publication on the artist in twenty years, this comprehensive and lavishly illustrated volume explores the full range of Celmins's work produced since the 1960s--drawings and paintings as well as sculpture and prints. Scholarly essays, a narrative chronology, and a selection of excerpts from interviews with the artist illuminate her methods and techniques; survey her early years in Los Angeles, where she was part of a circle that included James Turrell and Ken Price; and trace the development of her work after she moved to New York City and befriended figures such as Robert Gober and Richard Serra. Exhibition: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, USA (15.12.2018-31.03.2019); Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, Canada (13.06-11.08.2019); The Met Breuer, New York, USA (01.10.2019-12.01.2020).
- Celmins, Vija, 1938-—Exhibitions
- Celmins, Vija, 1938-—Criticism and interpretation
- Celmins, Vija, 1938-—Themes, motives
- Celmins, Vija, 1938-—Interviews
- Celmins, Vija, 1938-
- Drawing, American—United States—21st century—Exhibitions
- Photo-realism—United States—20th century—Exhibitions
- Photo-realism—United States—21st century—Exhibitions
- Art, Modern—20th century
- Art, Modern—21st century
- Latvian American artists—New York (State)—20th century—Exhibitions
- Latvian American artists—New York (State)—21st century—Exhibitions
- Women artists—New York (State)—20th century—Exhibitions
- Women artists—New York (State)—21st century—Exhibitions
- Art, Modern
- Drawing, American
- Latvian American artists
- Themes, motives
- Women artists
- Drawing, American—United States—20th century—Exhibitions
- United States
- New York (State)
- 9780300234213 (cloth : hardback)
030023421X (cloth : hardback)
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition of the same name held at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, December 15, 2018-March 31, 2019; the Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, May 4-August 4, 2019; and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, September 24, 2019-January 12, 2020.--colophon.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 256-261) and index.
- Data/Place of Event:
- "Vija Celmins: To Fix the Image in Memory" : December 15, 2018-March 31, 2019, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, California, United States.
"Vija Celmins: To Fix the Image in Memory" : May 4-August 4, 2019, the Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
"Vija Celmins: To Fix the Image in Memory" : September 24, 2019-January 12, 2020, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York, United States.
View MARC record | catkey: 29234438