Vincent van Gogh : his life in art / edited by David Bomford ; with essays by Nienke Bakker, Renske Suijver, Renske Cohen Tervaert ; contributions by Helga K. Aurisch, Laura Minton, Dena M. Woodall
- Uniform Title:
- Vincent van Gogh (Museum of Fine Arts, Houston)
- [Houston, Texas] : The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 
New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 171 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 30 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Bomford, David
Cohen Tervaert, Renske
Woodall, Dena Marie, 1969-
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
- Foreword / by Gary Tinterow -- Acknowledgments / by David Bomford -- Vincent van Gogh-His Life in Art / by Nienke Bakker -- Family Matters: The History of the Van Gogh Museum and Its Collection / by Renske Suijver -- The Vincent van Gogh Collection: The Beating Heart of the Kröller-Müller Museum / by Renske Cohen Tervaert -- Plates, with entries / by David Bomford, Helga K. Aurisch, and Dena Woodall -- Chronology / by Laura Minton.
- "Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art surveys the artist's creative evolution across his short but influential career. The narrative begins with Van Gogh's drawings, which were the foundation of his early practice, and describes how he transitioned into painting by consulting instructional handbooks and copying images. Written by a team of international experts, the book follows his moves from the landscapes and peasant life of his native Holland to Antwerp, Paris, Provence, and finally the countryside north of Paris. In the brilliant light of southern France, he began painting portraits and landscapes while refining his characteristic style of rhythmic brushstrokes and expressive impasto in vivid colors. In addition to the main essay with its overview of Van Gogh's shifting techniques and artistic concerns, the publication features a pair of essays highlighting two museums with exceptional collections of the artist's work: the Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, and the Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo. Beautifully reproduced images showcase approximately 50 outstanding pieces from these and other institutions, from rough drawings to vibrant late-career canvases." -- Yale University Press
"Featuring about 50 works by Vincent van Gogh, from his early drawings to his later iconic paintings, this catalogue traces the artist's life, the development of his art, and his significant legacy"--
- 9780300243260 paperback
- "This book was published to accompany the exhibition Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art, presented at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, March 10 through June 27, 2019. The exhibition was organized in collaboration with the Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam; the Kroller-Muller Museum, Otterlo; and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston."--Colophon.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 164-165) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 29249245