The art of women in contemporary China : both sides now / by Patricia Eichenbaum Karetzky and Zhang Er.
- Karetzky, Patricia Eichenbaum, 1947-
- Newcastle upon Tyne, UK : Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2020.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 296 pages, 46 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 22 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Er, Zhang
- This book presents in eight chapters the work of over 75 Chinese female artists, both pictorial and poetic. Their art is viewed within a framework of eight themes. The broad topics explored include the body; life; the representation of the experience of being a woman; home and the world; a view of children and other women; clothes; social conscience; fantasy; and abstraction--nonfigurative work and its viability as a medium to express the spiritual. These themes provide several lenses through which to enjoy and compare these artists' approaches and outputs. The volume is unique in its inclusion.
- 1527541029 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 29252183