Listening for a life : a dialogic ethnography of Bessie Eldreth through her songs and stories / Patricia Sawin
- Sawin, Patricia
- Logan : Utah State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 254 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 23 cm
Full Text available online
- Introduction : dialogism and subjectivity -- "That was before I ever left home" : complex accounts of a simple childhood -- "If you had to work as hard as I did, it would kill you" : work, narrative, and self-definition -- "I said, 'don't you do it'" : tracing development as an empowered speaker through reported speech in narrative -- "He never did say anything about my dreams that would worry me after that" : negotiating gender and power in ghost stories -- "I'm a bad one to go pulling jokes on people" : practical joking as a problematic vehicle for oppositional self-definition -- "My singing is my life" : repertoire and performance -- Epilogue.
- 087421582X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 229-240) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2926442