- Language Note:
- In English with some text in Cree.
- When a young girl moves from the country to a small town, she feels lonely and out of place. But soon she meets an elderly woman next door, who shares her love of nature and art. As the seasons change, can the girl navigate the failing health of her new friend? Acclaimed author and artist Julie Flett's textured images of birds, flowers, art, and landscapes bring vibrancy and warmth to this powerful story, which highlights the fulfillment of intergenerational relationships and shared passions. A brief glossary and pronunciation guide to Cree-Métis words that appear in the text is provided on the copyright page.
- Moving, Household—Juvenile fiction
- Girls—Juvenile fiction
- Older women—Juvenile fiction
- Friendship—Juvenile fiction
- Intergenerational relations—Juvenile fiction
- Sick—Juvenile fiction
- Aging—Juvenile fiction
- Cities and towns—Juvenile fiction
- Drawing—Juvenile fiction
- Seasons—Juvenile fiction
- Nature stories
- Single-parent families—Juvenile fiction
- Indians of North America—Social aspects—Juvenile fiction
- Picture books for children
- Moving, Household—Fiction
- Older women—Fiction
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Friendship
- JUVENILE FICTION / Family / Multigenerational
- JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Emotions & Feelings
- Single-parent families
- Indians of North America—Social aspects
- Cities and towns
- Intergenerational relations
- Moving, Household
- Older women
- Aboriginal Canadians
- Canada—Juvenile fiction
- 9781771644730 (hardcover)
- Educational level group:: School children
Educational level group:: Kindergartners
Educational level group:: First grade students
Educational level group:: Second grade students
Educational level group:: Third grade students
Age group:: Children
- Audience Notes:
- For ages 3-8.
Decoding: 4 (hard) Vocabulary: 4 (hard) Sentences: 5 (very hard) Patterns: 5 (very hard) Lexile.
- "First published in the U.K. in 2020"--Title page verso.
"Editing by Kallie George"--Title page verso.
- Horn Book Award Honor, 2020
The Governor General's Literary Award Finalist, 2019
American Indian Youth Literature Picture Books Honor Book, 2020
View MARC record | catkey: 29267136