Active Balancing of Bike Sharing Systems [electronic resource] / by Jan Brinkmann
- Brinkmann, Jan
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2020.
- 1st ed. 2020.
- Physical Description:
- XXI, 184 pages 48 illustrations, 1 illustration in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Lecture Notes in Mobility, 2196-5544
- Introduction -- Bike Sharing Systems -- Optimization Problems -- Dynamic Decision Making -- The Stochastic-Dynamic Multi-Vehicle Inventory Routing Problem for Bike Sharing Systems -- Lookahead Policies -- Dynamic Lookahead Horizons -- Case Studies -- Managerial Implications -- Future Research.
- This book reports on an operational management approach to improving bike-sharing systems by compensating for fluctuating demand patterns. The aim is to redistribute bikes within the system, allowing it to be "actively" balanced. The book describes a mathematical model, as well as data-driven and simulation-based approaches. Further, it shows how these elements can be combined in a decision-making support system for service providers. In closing, the book uses real-world data to evaluate the method developed and demonstrates that it can successfully anticipate changes in demand, thus supporting efficient scheduling of transport vehicles to manually relocate bikes between stations.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 29267998