In other lands : a novel / Sarah Rees Brennan
- Brennan, Sarah Rees
- Easthampton, Mass. : Big Mouth House, 2019.
- Copyright Date:
- First paperback edition.
- Physical Description:
- 482 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Language Note:
- Text in English.
- Despite his aversion to war, work, and most people (human or otherwise), teenaged Elliott, a human transported to a fantasy world where he attends a school for warriors and diplomatic advisers, finds that two unlikely ideas, friendship and world peace, may actually be possbile.
"The Borderlands aren't like anywhere else. Don't try to smuggle a phone or any other piece of technology over the wall that marks the Border -- unless you enjoy a fireworks display in your backpack. (Ballpoint pens are okay.) There are elves, harpies, and -- best of all as far as Elliot is concerned -- mermaids. Elliot is thirteen years old. He's smart and just a tiny bit obnoxious. Sometimes more than a tiny bit. When his class goes on a field trip and he can see a wall that no one else can see, he is given the chance to go to school in the Borderlands. It turns out that on the other side of the wall, classes involve a lot more weaponry and fitness training and fewer mermaids than he expected. On the other hand, there's Serene-Heart-in-the-Chaos-of-Battle, an elven warrior who is more beautiful than anyone Elliot has ever seen, and then there's her human friend Luke: sunny, blond, and annoyingly likeable. There are lots of interesting books. There's even the chance Elliot might be able to change the world. In Other Lands is the exhilarating book about surviving four years in the most unusual of schools, about friendship, falling in love, diplomacy, and finding your own place in the world -- even if it means giving up your phone."--
- Elves—Juvenile fiction
- Mermaids—Juvenile fiction
- Imaginary places—Juvenile fiction
- Coming of age—Fiction
- YOUNG ADULT FICTION—Fairy Tales & Folklore—Adaptations
- YOUNG ADULT FICTION—Fantasy—Contemporary
- Imaginary places
- 9781618731661 (paperback)
- Age group:: Teenagers
Educational level group:: High school students
- Interest Age:
- Audience Notes:
- HL800L Lexile
- A Junior Library Guild selection (JLG.)
View MARC record | catkey: 29268343