Fuzzing: Brute Force Vulnerability Discovery [electronic resource] / Sutton, Michael
- Sutton, Michael
- Addison-Wesley Professional, 2007.
- 1st edition
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (576 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Greene, Adam, Amini, Pedram, and Safari Books Online (Firm)
- FUZZING Master One of Today's Most Powerful Techniques for Revealing Security Flaws! Fuzzing has evolved into one of today's most effective approaches to test software security. To "fuzz," you attach a program's inputs to a source of random data, and then systematically identify the failures that arise. Hackers have relied on fuzzing for years: Now, it's your turn. In this book, renowned fuzzing experts show you how to use fuzzing to reveal weaknesses in your software before someone else does. Fuzzing is the first and only book to cover fuzzing from start to finish, bringing disciplined best practices to a technique that has traditionally been implemented informally. The authors begin by reviewing how fuzzing works and outlining its crucial advantages over other security testing methods. Next, they introduce state-of-the-art fuzzing techniques for finding vulnerabilities in network protocols, file formats, and web applications; demonstrate the use of automated fuzzing tools; and present several insightful case histories showing fuzzing at work. Coverage includes: • Why fuzzing simplifies test design and catches flaws other methods miss • The fuzzing process: from identifying inputs to assessing "exploitability" • Understanding the requirements for effective fuzzing • Comparing mutation-based and generation-based fuzzers • Using and automating environment variable and argument fuzzing • Mastering in-memory fuzzing techniques • Constructing custom fuzzing frameworks and tools • Implementing intelligent fault detection Attackers are already using fuzzing. You should, too. Whether you're a developer, security engineer, tester, or QA specialist, this book teaches you how to build secure software. Foreword xix Preface xxi Acknowledgments xxv About the Author xxvii P ARTI B ACKGROUND 1 Chapter 1 Vulnerability Discovery Methodologies 3 Chapter 2 What Is Fuzzing? 21 Chapter 3 Fuzzing Methods and Fuzzer Types 33 Chapter 4 Data Representation and Analysis 45 Chapter 5 Requirements for Effective Fuzzing 61 P ART II T ARGETS AND A UTOMATION 71 Chapter 6 Automation and Data Generation 73 Chapter 7 Environment Variable and Argument Fuzzing 89 Chapter 8 Environment Variable and Argument Fuzzing: Automation 103 Chapter 9 Web Application and Server Fuzzing 113 Chapter 10 Web Application and Server Fuzzing: Automation 137 Chapter 11 File Format Fuzzing 1...
- 9780321446114 and 0321446119
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Boston, MA : Safari, Available via World Wide Web. 2007.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Copyright Note:
- Copyright © 2007 Pearson Education, Inc. 2007
- Issuing Body:
- Made available through: Safari, an O'Reilly Media Company.
View MARC record | catkey: 29284128