- Each edition of Introduction to Data Compression has widely been considered the best introduction and reference text on the art and science of data compression, and the fourth edition continues in this tradition. Data compression techniques and technology are ever-evolving with new applications in image, speech, text, audio, and video. The fourth edition includes all the cutting edge updates the reader will need during the work day and in class. Khalid Sayood provides an extensive introduction to the theory underlying today's compression techniques with detailed instruction for their applications using several examples to explain the concepts. Encompassing the entire field of data compression, Introduction to Data Compression includes lossless and lossy compression, Huffman coding, arithmetic coding, dictionary techniques, context based compression, scalar and vector quantization. Khalid Sayood provides a working knowledge of data compression, giving the reader the tools to develop a complete and concise compression package upon completion of his book. New content added to include a more detailed description of the JPEG 2000 standard New content includes speech coding for internet applications Explains established and emerging standards in depth including JPEG 2000, JPEG-LS, MPEG-2, H.264, JBIG 2, ADPCM, LPC, CELP, MELP, and iLBC Source code provided via companion web site that gives readers the opportunity to build their own algorithms, choose and implement techniques in their own applications
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Boston, MA : Safari, Available via World Wide Web. 2013.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Copyright Note:
- Copyright ©: Elsevier Science & Technology 2013
- Issuing Body:
- Made available through: Safari, an O'Reilly Media Company.
View MARC record | catkey: 29288756