Student mental health : a guide for teachers, school and district leaders, school psychologists and nurses, social workers, counselors, and parents / William Dikel, MD.
- Dikel, William
- Uniform Title:
- Teacher's guide to student mental health
- New York : W.W. Norton & Company, 
- Updated and expanded.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 366 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- The clinical-behavioral spectrum -- The scope of mental health disorders affecting children and adolescents -- A general introduction to children's mental health -- Mood disorders -- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder -- Anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder -- Substance use disorders -- Oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder -- Autism spectrum disorder -- Psychotic disorders -- Effective teaching strategies with students who have emotional or behavioral problems -- A school's mental health framework -- Working with students who have mental health disorders -- General education, special education, and 504 plan students -- How schools are meeting the challenges of students' mental health -- Summary -- Appendix 1: Who diagnoses and treats child and adolescent psychiatric disorders? -- Appendix 2: Comprehensive mental health evaluations -- Appendix 3: The diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM) -- Appendix 4: Overview of psychotherapy for children and adolescents -- Appendix 5: Rational use of psychiatric medications.
- From ADHD to schizophrenia and everything in between, what you need to know about how kids’ mental health impacts them in school. Chances are that every classroom in America will have at least one student who has a mental health disorder, possibly even in the severe range. These students often have symptoms that interfere with their ability to learn. By understanding child and adolescent mental health issues, you will have additional tools to provide the most successful educational and home environments for school- aged kids. -- Provided by publisher.
- 9780393714128 paperback
- Revised edition of: The teacher's guide to student mental health. 2014.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 29331532