Heaven can wait [videorecording] / Twentieth Century Fox ; screenplay by Samson Raphaelson ; produced and directed by Ernst Lubitsch
- [United States] : Criterion Collection, 
- Special ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (112 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 pamphlet
- Additional Creators:
- Lubitsch, Ernst, 1892-1947
Raphaelson, Samson, 1896-1983
Cregar, Laird, 1913-1944
Main, Marjorie, 1890-1975
Byington, Spring, 1886-1971
Cronjager, Edward, 1904-1960
Bús-Fekete, László, 1896-1971
Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation
Criterion Collection (Firm)
- The Criterion collection ; 291
- Deceased turn-of-the century playboy Henry Van Cleve presents himself to the outer offices of Hades, where he asks a bemused Satan for permission to enter the gates of hell. Though the devil doubts that Henry's sins qualify him for eternal damnation, Henry proceeds to recount a lifetime of wooing and pursing women, his long, happy marriage to Martha notwithstanding.
- Audience Notes:
- Not rated.
- DVD; region 1; NTSC; Dolby digital, mono.
Closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
Based on the play Birthday by Lazlo Bus-Fekete.
Videdisc release of the 1943 motion picture.
Special features: New video conversation between film critics Molly Haskell and Andrew Sarris; Creativity with Bill Moyers: A Portrait of Samson Raphaelson (1982), a 30-minute program exploring the screenwriter s life and career; audio seminar with Raphaelson and film critic Richard Corliss recorded at the Museum of Modern Art in 1977; Lubitsch home piano recordings; original theatrical trailer; a new essay by film scholar William Paul.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Cinematographer, Edward J. Cronjager.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Don Ameche, Gene Tierney, Charles Coburn, Laird Cregar, Marjorie Main, Spring Byington.
- No public performance rights. Classroom instruction and home use permitted.
View MARC record | catkey: 2948358