American contemporary theater. Straight / written & performed by David Schmader ; directed by Jeff Meyers
- Additional Titles:
- Straight : a conversion comedy
- Los Angeles, CA : TMW Media Group, 2002.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (131 min.)
- Additional Creators:
- Meyers, Jeff and Schmader, David
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Straight is a hilarious and subversive excursion into the world of conversion therapy, where gays and lesbians are reputedly 'cured' of their homosexuality and made 'straight.' Join acclaimed writer/performer David Schmader as he plunges into the heart of this dangerous territory. Schmader, a gay man, pulls no punches with either the conversionists or the gay community in this one-man show -- attending sessions with a German psychoanalyst, going undercover at 'ex-gay' support groups, and engaging in an intensive crash course in Christian heterosexuality ... deep in the heart of Texas. Straight pulls no punches. Schmader deploys a wry honesty that spares neither Christian conversionists nor the unconverted in this uproarious take on sexual reprogramming. Blending an essayists insight with the spark of stand-up comedy, Schmader confronts difficult questions, rejects easy answers, and gets to the bottom of what it means to be 'straight.'
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed June 24, 2015).
View MARC record | catkey: 29621335