Strauss : The Waltz King
- Additional Titles:
- Title of video source: Johann Strauss : Dance and Dream
- Berlin : EuroArts, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (116 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Edwards, Rupert, Garrett, Lesley, 1955-, Amphlett, David, Atteln, Günter, Smaczny, Paul, Eschwé, Alfred, 1949-, Abell, David Charles, and Wiener Akademie
- Language Note:
- In English.
- This entertaining video comprises the enjoyable dance performance "A Night in Vienna" and the informative docudrama "The Waltz King" in a two-hour celebration of the music of the Johann Strausses - father and son. This double feature recreates the beauty and atmosphere of the ballroom performances of 19th century Vienna charting the rise of the waltz craze. In the wonderful setting of the Hofburg in Vienna, the former residence of the Habsburg rulers, the period instrument orchestra Wiener Akademie plays favourites by the Strauss Family and Joseph Lanner and dance performances in historical costumes recreate the atmosphere of the first half of the 19th century. In the documentary, Lesley Garrett, Britain's most popular soprano, leads viewers through the programme and explores the Viennese waltz - the music, the dance steps, the ballrooms, the costumes and at the same time narrates the drama of the two great Waltz composers, the bitter conflict between father and son Johann Strauss.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed November 13, 2015).
- Data/Place of Event:
- Performed Hofburg Palace.
View MARC record | catkey: 29621381