End of an old song / a film by John Cohen
- Berkeley, CA : Berkeley Media, 1972.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (26 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Cohen, John, 1932-2019
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Filmed in the mountains of North Carolina, this acclaimed documentary revisits the region where English folklorist Cecil Sharp collected British ballads in the early 1900s. The film contrasts the nature of the ballad singers with the presence of the juke box: although the lyrical tradition has changed, the singing style continues. The film features Dillard Chandler, who sings with rare intensity and style.The End of an Old Song will enhance a variety of classes in American studies and popular culture, the arts and humanities, ethnomusicology, and cultural anthropology. It was produced by renowned filmmaker and musician John Cohen.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed June 24, 2016).
View MARC record | catkey: 29624237