- Language Note:
- In Dutch ; with English subtitles.
- Rotterdam, 1920's. An aspiring young lawyer, Katadreuffe (FEDJA VAN HUET), is arrested after the city's most feared bailiff, Dreverhaven (JAN DECLEIR) is found murdered. The young man claims to be innocent. Through a series of flashbacks during a police interrogation, Katadreuffe's version of the events leading up to the crime is recounted. Katadreuffe was born the illegitimate son of Joba Katadreuffe (BETTY SCHUURMAN), a simple but proud woman, and Dreverhaven, whom she refuses to marry. Raised in poverty, Katadreuffe follows an austere and strict lifestyle until his mother takes in a lodger, Jan Maan (HANS KESTING), who encourages Katadreuffe to improve his social standing. Katadreuffe obtains a loan which he decides to invest in a tobacco store. This endeavour proves to be a complete financial disaster and Katadreuffe is left bankrupt. Fedja van HuetKatadreuffe then discovers that Dreverhaven, his father, presides over the bank which originally gave him the loan and to whom he is indebted. He begins negotiations with the law firm of Stroomkoning and in the process, spellbound by the power and sense of establishment emanating from their offices, decides to become a lawyer. Despite his self-schooled education, Katadreuffe uses a wily sense of initiative to get himself hired as a clerk at the firm, and begins, what he hopes, will be a path of social and financial ascension. In the process, he meets, and falls in love with a young secretary, Lorna Te George (TAMAR VAN DEN DOP). His success is hampered, however, by his history of bankruptcy and the constant, looming presence of his father whom he is convinced wishes to ruin all of his career prospects. As Katadreuffe and Dreverhaven seek to destroy each other, their struggle evolves into a compelling story of passion and ambition in which the wrong-doing of both father and son is exposed ... with unexpected consequences.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Title from resource description page (viewed January 05, 2017).
Based on "Dreverhaven en katadreuffe" and "Karakter" by F. Bordewijk.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Jan DeCleir (Dreverhaven), Fedja Van Huêt (Katadreuffe), Betty Schuurman (Joba), Tamar Van Den Dop (Lorna Te George), Victor Löw (De Gankelaar), Hans Kesting (Jan Maan), Pavlik Jansen Op De Haar (Jacob 12 jaar), Jasper Gottlieb and Marius Gottlieb (Jacob 6 jaar), Bernhard Droog (Stroomkoning), Lou Landré (Rentenstein).
- Won 1998 Academy Awards, Best Foreign Language Film
Won 1997 AFI Fest, Grand Jury Prize
Won 1998 Manaki Brothers International Cinematographers' Film Festival, Audience Award
Won 1998 Manaki Brothers International Cinematographers' Film Festival, Silver Camera 300
Won 1997 Camerimag, Golden Frog
Won 1998 Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Awards' DFWFCA Award, Best Foreign-Language Film
Won 1998 Fantasporto, Directors' Week Award
Won 1997 Geneva Film Festival, Best Actor
Won 1997 Joseph Plateau Awards, Best Belgian Actor
Won 1997 Nederlands Film Festival, Best Film
Won 1997 Nederlands Film Festival, Grolsch Film Award
Won 1998 Palm Springs International Film Festival, Audience Award
Won 1998 Paris Film Festival, Best Actor
Won 1998 Paris Film Festival, Grand Prix
Won 1998 Santa Barbara International Film Festival, Best Foreign Language Film
Won 1998 Santa Barbara International Film Festival, The Fujifilm Best Cinematographer Award
View MARC record | catkey: 29627572