Synecdoche, New York / Sony Pictures Classics ; Sidney Kimmel Entertainment presents ; a Likely Story / Projective Testing Service / Russia, Inc. production ; executive producers, William Horberg, Bruce Toll, Ray Angelic ; produced by Anthony Bregman, Charlie Kaufman, Spike Jonze, Sidney Kimmel ; written and by directed by Charlie Kaufman
- Uniform Title:
- Synecdoche, New York (Motion Picture)
- New York, NY : Sony Pictures Classics, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (124 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Kaufman, Charlie, 1958-, Bregman, Anthony, Jonze, Spike, Kimmel, Sidney, Likely Story (Firm), Projective Testing Service (Firm), and Sidney Kimmel Entertainment (Firm)
- Language Note:
- In English.
- From Charlie Kaufman comes a visual and philosophic adventure, "Synecdoche, New York". As he did with his groundbreaking scripts for "Being John Malkovich", "Adaptation", and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", Kaufman twists and subverts form and language as he delves into the mind of a man who, obsessed with his own mortality, sets out to construct a massive artistic enterprise that could give some meaning to his life. Theater director Caden Cotard (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is mounting a new play. His life catering to suburban blue-hairs at the local regional theater in Schenectady, New York is looking bleak. His wife Adele (Catherine Keener) has left him to pursue her painting in Berlin, taking their young daughter Olive with her. His therapist, Madeleine Gravis (Hope Davis), is better at plugging her best-seller than she is at counseling him. A new relationship with the alluringly candid Hazel (Samantha Morton) has prematurely run aground. And a mysterious condition is systematically shutting down each of his autonomic functions, one by one. Worried about the transience of his life, he leaves his home behind. He gathers an ensemble cast into a warehouse in New York City, hoping to create a work of brutal honesty. He directs them in a celebration of the mundane, instructing each to live out their constructed lives in a growing mock-up of the city outside. The years rapidly fold into each other, and Caden buries himself deeper into his masterpiece, but the textured tangle of real and theatrical relationships blurs the line between the world of the play and that of Caden's own deteriorating reality.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- Title from resource description page (viewed April 11, 2019).
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Director of photography, Frederick Elmes ; production designer, Mark Friedberg ; editor, Robert Frazen ; costume designer, Melissa Toth ; visual effects supervisor, Mark Russell ; music by Jon Brion.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Philip Seymour Hoffman, Samantha Morton, Michelle Williams, Catherine Keener, Emily Watson, Dianne Wiest, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Hope Davis, Tom Noonan.
- Won 2008 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards, Best Production Design
2nd place 2008 Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards, Best Screenplay
Nominated 2008 Cannes Film Festival, Golden Camera
Nominated 2008 Cannes Film Festival, Palme d'Or
3rd place 2009 National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Screenplay
View MARC record | catkey: 29630932