The power of music. 2, Violin basics / producer, Jill Peters ; produced by Thirteen Productions LLC
- Additional Titles:
- Violin basics and P-5 teaching inspired by El Sistema
- District of Columbia : Annenberg Learner, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (29 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Peters, Jill, Giles, Nancy, and Thirteen Productions
- Language Note:
- In English.
- In 2010 Lorrie Heagy established an El Sistema-inspired program at Glacier Valley Elementary School, in Juneau, Alaska - a Title I public school where over forty percent of students are eligible for free and reduced lunch. In this video, Lorrie, who was chosen as the Alaska State Teacher of the Year in 2011, demonstrates how she incorporates El Sistema-inspired principles into her teaching practice. As is the case in many Venezuelan núcleos (local El Sistema programs), in Lorrie's program children learn to play the violin when they are young - in kindergarten - using paper violins first. Collaboration with kindergarten teachers has been critical to the program's success. In all her lessons Lorrie tries to engage youngsters using strategies outlined in Eric Jensen's book Teaching with the Brain in Mind - movement, emotion, relevance, novelty, and pattern or familiarity. Another effective technique she models is motivating youngsters with levels of mastery, a concept they know from video games. Her teaching illustrates the power of ensemble learning and the belief that every child is a musician from the moment he or she chooses to be. About the series: A professional development resource for P-5 music educators; 8 30-minute video programs, plus overview; course guide; online interactives; and website. The Power of Music is designed to help pre-K through fifth-grade music educators integrate into their practice effective teaching strategies used in El Sistema-inspired programs. The video series features teaching artists across the country committed to providing music-making opportunities to children who otherwise might not have them. Incorporating their own ideas, experiences, and pedagogical expertise, these music educators have adapted and created innovative teaching strategies to nurture a special kind of musical citizenship in their students. Produced by WNET Thirteen, 2014.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- Title from resource description page (viewed August 14, 2018). and "P-5 teaching inspired by El Sistema".
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Narrated by Nancy Giles.
View MARC record | catkey: 29634223