The power of music. 6, Chorus and other ensembles / producer, Eva Zelig ; produced by Thirteen Productions LLC
- Additional Titles:
- Chorus and other ensembles
- District of Columbia : Annenberg Learner, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (28 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Zelig, Eva, Giles, Nancy, and Thirteen Productions
- Language Note:
- In English.
- El Sistema is an ensemble program, not just an orchestral program. Throughout Venezuela, different communities are making music in ways that draw on their assets and needs, creating ensembles from jazz bands to folk music groups. Some U.S. programs are also providing a variety of ensembles students can aspire to join. This course unit explores two programs that embody El Sistema-inspired values through chorus and other ensembles. AMPlify is an El Sistema-inspired choral program in Atlanta. Juneau Alaska Music Matters (JAMM) at Glacier Valley Elementary School provides students with opportunities to make music in a variety of ensembles, including rock band, African drumming, and step dance. There is also an after-school program that celebrates native Alaskan tradition through Tlingit dance and drumming. Embodying music physically is an important part of the learning process in these ensembles. About the series: A professional development resource for P-5 music educators; 8 30-minute video programs, plus overview; course guide; online interactives; and website. The Power of Music is designed to help pre-K through fifth-grade music educators integrate into their practice effective teaching strategies used in El Sistema-inspired programs. The video series features teaching artists across the country committed to providing music-making opportunities to children who otherwise might not have them. Incorporating their own ideas, experiences, and pedagogical expertise, these music educators have adapted and created innovative teaching strategies to nurture a special kind of musical citizenship in their students. Produced by WNET Thirteen, 2014.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- Title from resource description page (viewed August 14, 2018).
"P-5 teaching inspired by El Sistema".
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Narrated by Nancy Giles.
View MARC record | catkey: 29634227