Chinese New Year. Episode 1, Migration / presented by Kate Humble, Ant Anstead, Lu Sijing, David Myers, Simon King
- London, England : BBC Worldwide, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (50 minutes)
- Additional Creators:
- Locke, Bill (Producer), Humble, Kate, Anstead, Ant, Lu, Sijing, Myers, Dave, 1967-, King, Simon, 1962-, Lion Television Ltd, and BBC Worldwide Ltd
- Language Note:
- In English.
- The first episode, presented by Kate Humble, Jing Lusi and Ant Anstead, follows the weeks leading up to New Year and is based at the Harbin Ice and Snow Festival - an extraordinary sub-zero celebration in China's far north east. It is an ice wonderland, full of people braving the cold, diving into frozen water and enjoying themselves at minus 30 degrees. The three of them also experience the New Year transport rush and crush in Beijing, following an Anglo-Chinese family back to China, joining the crush at Beijing's West Station and battling through Beijing traffic. 2016 is the year of the monkey, and Kate goes in search of the extremely rare snub-nosed monkeys of Yunnan. She goes on a poo hunt, looking for monkey feces to test for their health. Jing experiences the spectacular showers of sparks from ancient fireworks made from molten metal by Mr Xue, the last practitioner of this dying craft, whose only protection is a sheepskin coat and a straw hat. Ant finds out how an entire ice city is made from just frozen river water, sculpted to make full-sized buildings that are illuminated beautifully at night. Meanwhile, the Hairy Bikers Dave and Si join the largest motorbike flotilla on earth as thousands of migrant workers in Guangdong province head for home as New Year approaches - it is an extraordinary scene as workers from the city go back to their home villages, often for the only time in a year. The Bikers join the volunteers helping the motorcyclists as they head carefully back home on bikes loaded high with people and presents.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- "The biggest celebration on Earth".
Title from resource description page (viewed January 15, 2019).
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Presenters: Kate Humble, Ant Anstead, Lu Sijing, David Myers, Simon King.
View MARC record | catkey: 29635263