Tropic of Cancer. Episode 1, Mexico to the Bahamas / with Simon Reeve ; producer, Elena Cosentino ; directed by Chris Martin ; BBC Productions
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Simon Reeve circumnavigates the globe around the 22,835 mile long Tropic of Cancer, visiting 18 different countries, meeting amazing people, witnessing bizarre and beautiful sights, and encountering spectacular and endangered wildlife. Starting in Baja California - the long strip of Mexico that descends into the Pacific Ocean, Simon travels through Cuba, the Bahamas, Mauritania, the wastelands of Southern Libya, India, Bangladesh and Burma before finally reaching the some of the most beautiful (and also some of the dirtiest) beaches in the world. From gorgeous landscapes to deserts, small fishing villages to violent drug wars, Simon finds out what makes these places fascinatingly unique. In this first episode Simon travels from the beautiful Pacific coast of Mexico, where he visits the luxurious holiday resorts of Baja California, before crossing the country's rugged interior. Along the way he goes on patrol with a heavily armed police unit in Culiacan, headquarters of the fearsome Sinaloa drug cartel, and gets more than he bargained for from a female Lucha Libre wrestler. The Tropic of Cancer skirts Havana, where Simon learns how allotments are helping the Cubans counter the effects of the US trade embargo; and in the Bahamas he discovers the hidden menace on the beautiful coral reefs that make these islands famous.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- video file
- Title from resource description page (viewed January 28, 2019).
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Written and presented by Simon Reeve.
View MARC record | catkey: 29636043