Conflict and enlightenment : print and political culture in Europe, 1635-1795 / Thomas Munck, University of Glasgow
- Munck, Thomas
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 368 pages ; 24 cm
- Print, production, authors and readers -- Instability and politicisation (1630-1677) -- Subversive print in the early enlightenment -- Translation and transmission across cultural borders -- High enlightenment, political texts and reform, 1748-89 -- Revolution: democracy and loyalism in print, 1789-1795.
- "In the early modern period, printing was the only means of disseminating a text or message reliably to a large number of people. Print could serve all kinds of purposes, ranging from religious education to scientific debate, from state propaganda to open political subversion, from proclamations and the reporting of news to the provision of entertaining fictional reading. But the printing industry was also one of the most complex, labour-intensive and investment-dependent sectors of the early modern economy, involving a huge range of very specialised and skilled manual labour as well as a range of associated trades (see Figure 1). It required considerable infrastructure, management and marketing skills, and was subject to severe market fluctuations with high risks. These conflicting pressures were not matched by any substantial technological change in the printing industry from the middle of the fifteenth century right through to the Napoleonic period. So despite gaining a solid footing in the economies of many large prosperous cities, the increase in the use of print for particular purposes was unsteady, and its geographic spread surprisingly uneven"--
- Book industries and trade—Political aspects—Europe—History—18th century
- Book industries and trade—Political aspects
- Intellectual life
- Book industries and trade—Political aspects—Europe—History—17th century
- Europe—Intellectual life—18th century
- Europe—Intellectual life—17th century
- 9780521878074 hardcover
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 29671224