- Preface: How to Make Use of This Book -- Introduction -- Part I. Approaches -- The fruit : into their lunch bags to teach relevance and globalization with food -- The seed : using learning objectives to build a course -- The hatchet : wielding critique to reconsider periodization and place -- The llama : recruiting animals to blend nature and culture -- Part II. Pathways -- The fields : science and going outside -- The land : sense of place, recognition of spirit -- The power : energy and water regimes -- Part III. Applications -- The people : environmental justice, slow violence, and project-based learning -- The tools : using technology to enhance evironmental history -- The test : assessment methods, rubrics, and writing -- Epilogue.
- A Primer for Teaching Environmental History is a guide for college and high school teachers who are teaching environmental history for the first time, for experienced teachers who want to reinvigorate their courses, for those who are training future teachers to prepare their own syllabi, and for teachers who want to incorporate environmental history into their world history courses. Emily Wakild and Michelle K. Berry offer design principles for creating syllabi that will help students navigate a wide range of topics, from food, environmental justice, and natural resources to animal-human relations, senses of place, and climate change. In their discussions of learning objectives, assessment, project-based learning, using technology, and syllabus design, Wakild and Berry draw readers into the process of strategically designing courses on environmental history that will challenge students to think critically about one of the most urgent topics of study in the twenty-first century.--Publisher website.
- 9780822371489 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
0822371480 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
9780822371373 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
0822371375 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Endowment Note:
- Edward J. and Eleanor Black Nichols Library Endowment Fund
View MARC record | catkey: 29671812