The Organization of power : aspects of bureaucracy in the ancient Near East / edited by Mcguire Gibson and Robert D. Biggs
- Chicago, Ill. : Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, 1991.
- Second edition with corrections.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xii, 168 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Additional Creators:
- Gibson, McGuire
Biggs, Robert D.
University of Chicago. Oriental Institute
University of Chicago. Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
- Studies in ancient oriental civilization, 0081-7554 ; number 46
- "In a city without watchdogs the fox is the overseer": issues and problems in the study of bureaucracy / Michael G. Morony -- The administrative and economic organization of the Ur III state: the core and the periphery / Piotr Stemkeller -- Ur III bureaucracy: quantitative aspects / Miguel Civil -- Charisma and control: on continuity and change in early Mesopotamian bureaucratic systems / Piotr Michalowski -- Legitimation of authority through image and legend: seals belonging to officials in the administrative bureaucracy of the Ur III state / Irene J. Winter -- Administration of the Temple of Inanna at Nippur under the Third Dynasty of Ur: archaeological and documentary evidence / Richard L. Zettler -- The organization and functioning of the royal mortuary cults of the Old Kingdom in Egypt / Ann Macy Roth -- Ptolemaic bureaucracy from an Egyptian point of view / Janet H. Johnson -- Some perspectives on Byzantine bureaucracy / Walter Emil Kaegi, Jr. -- The role of bureaucracy in the provisioning of cities: a framework for analysis of the Ancient Near East / Robert C. Hunt.
- Electronic Publications Initiative of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago
- Papers of a symposium sponsored by the Oriental Institute and the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago, April 16-17, 1983.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 29672351