Illicit flows and criminal things : states, borders, and the other side of globalization / edited by Willem van Schendel and Itty Abraham
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- viii, 266 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Schendel, Willem van
Abraham, Itty, 1960-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Tracking globalization
- Introduction : the making of illicitness / Itty Abraham and Willem van Schendel -- Spaces of engagement : how borderlands, illicit flows, and territorial states interlock / Willem van Schendel -- The rumor of trafficking : border controls, illegal migration, and the sovereignty of the nation-state / Diana Wong -- Talking like a state : drugs, borders, and the language of control / Paul Gootenberg -- "Here, even legislators chew them" : coca leaves and identity politics in northern Argentina / Silvia Rivera Cusicanqui -- Seeing the state like a migrant : why so many non-criminals break immigration laws / David Kyle and Christina A. Siracusa -- Criminality and the global diamond trade : a methodological case study / Ian Smillie -- Small arms, cattle raiding, and borderlands : the Ilemi triangle / Kenneth I. Simala and Maurice Amutabi.
- 025334669X (cloth : alk. paper)
025321811X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 227-253) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2971925