Humorous verse (17th and 18th century) : an anthology
- Girard, Kan. : Haldeman-Julius Co., 
- Physical Description:
- 64 pages ; 13 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667, Herrick, Robert, 1591-1674, Suckling, John, Sir, 1609-1642, Butler, Samuel, 1612-1680, Prior, Matthew, 1664-1721, Swift, Jonathan, 1667-1745, Gay, John, 1685-1732, Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744, Fielding, Henry, 1707-1754, Gray, Thomas, 1716-1771, Goldsmith, Oliver, 1730?-1774, Cowper, William, 1731-1800, Pindar, Peter, 1738-1819, and Morris, Charles, 1745-1838
- Little blue book ; no. 961
- Of wit. The chronicle. An holy sister / Abraham Cowley -- The invitation. A ternarie of littles, upon a pipkin of jellie sent to a lady / Robert Herrick -- The remonstrance. The constant lover / Sir John Suckling -- To a bad poet / Samuel Butler -- The remedy worse than the disease. Nell and John. An epitaph / Matthew Prior -- Mary the cook-maid's letter to Dr. Sheridan / Jonathan Swift -- To a lady, on her passion for old china / John Gay -- To Mr. John Moore / Alexander Pope -- To Sir Robert Walpole / Henry Fielding -- Ode on the death of a favourite cat drowned in a tub of goldfishes / Thomas Gray -- The vicar of Bray / Anon. -- Elegy on Mrs. Mary Blaize. The gift. Elegy on the death of a mad dog. The haunch of venison / Oliver Goldsmith -- Report of an adjudged case . The diverting history of John Gilpin / William Cowper -- The apple-dumplings and a king. The razor-seller. The rival tradesmen. King Canute and his nobles. The pilgrims and the peas. Address to the reviewers / John Wolcot ("Peter Pindar") -- The contrast / Charles Morris.
- Advertised 1 May 1926, Haldeman-Julius Weekly, p. 4.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Gift of Henry Popp; 1988.
View MARC record | catkey: 2973323