Thomas Annan of Glasgow [electronic resource] : pioneer of the documentary photograph / Lionel Gossman
- Gossman, Lionel
- Cambridge : Open Book Publishers, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 182 pages) : colour illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Open Book Publishers
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Prefatory Note and Acknowledgments -- 1. Introduction -- 2. Paintings -- 3. Portraits -- 4. Landscapes -- 5. The Built Environment -- 6. The Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow -- 7. Epilogue -- Endnotes -- List of Illustrations -- Index of Names.
- "In the wake of Glasgow's transformation in the nineteenth-century into an industrial powerhouse - the "Second City of the Empire" - a substantial part of the old town of Adam Smith degenerated into an overcrowded and disease-ridden slum. The Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow, Thomas Annan's photographic record of this central section of the city prior to its demolition in accordance with the City of Glasgow Improvements Act of 1866, is widely recognized as a classic of nineteenth-century documentary photography. Annan's achievement as a photographer of paintings, portraits and landscapes is less widely known. Thomas Annan of Glasgow: Pioneer of the Documentary Photograph offers a handy, comprehensive and copiously illustrated overview of the full range of the photographer's work. The book opens with a brief account of the immediate context of Annan's career as a photographer: the astonishing florescence of photography in Victorian Scotland. Successive chapters deal with each of the main fields of his activity, touching along the way on issues such as the nineteenth-century debate over the status of photography - a mechanical practice or an artistic one? - and the still ongoing controversies surrounding the documentary photograph in particular. While the text itself is intended for the general reader, extensive endnotes amplify particular themes and offer guidance to readers interested in pursuing them further."--Publisher's website.
- Annan, Thomas, 1829-1887
- Annan, Thomas, 1829-1887. Photographs of old closes, streets, &c., taken 1868-1877
- Streets—Scotland—Glasgow—Pictorial works
- Documentary photography—Scotland—Glasgow—History
- Glasgow (Scotland)—History—Pictorial works
- 9781783741281 (Hardback)
- Available through Open Book Publishers.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references in endnotes (pages 127-162) and a name index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license (CC BY 4.0). For more detailed information consult the publisher's website.
View MARC record | catkey: 29960038