Bearing witness : essays in honour of Brij V.Lal / edited by Doug Munro and Jack Corbett
- Acton, A.C.T. : ANU Press, 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- electronic text (xvi, 333 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Lal, Brij V., Munro, Doug, Corbett, Jack, and Australian National University Press
- Brij Over Troubled Waters / Tessa Morris-Suzuki -- Editors' Introduction / Doug Munro and Jack Corbett -- In His Own Words. Indenture and Contemporary Fiji / Doug Munro -- From the Sidelines / Vilsoni Hereniko -- Curtain Call / Jack Corbett -- Indenture. Brij V. Lal: Rooting for History / Goolam Vahed -- Girmitiyas and my Discovery of India / Clem Seecharan -- Reflections on Brij Lal's Girmityas: The Origins of the Fiji Indians / Ralph Shlomowitz and Lance Brennan -- Fiji Politics. A Political Paradox: The Common Franchise Question and Ethnic Conflict in Fiji's Decolonisation / Robert Norton -- Constituting Common Futures: Reflecting from Singapore about Decolonisation in Fiji / Martha Kaplan and John D. Kelly -- Ethnicity, Politics and Constitutions in Fiji / Yash Pal Ghai -- The Fiji Election of 2014: Rights, Representation and Legitimacy in Fiji Politics / Stewart Firth -- Family Album -- Literature. Unfettering the Mind: Imagination, Creative Writing and the Art of the Historian / Tessa Morris-Suzuki -- Autobiography and Faction / Doug Munro -- Tributes. Aloha e Brij / David Hanlon -- In the Shadow of the Master Carver / Kate Fortune -- Meetings with the Three Lals: That's Brij Lal, Professor Lal and Brij V. Lal / Jack Corbett -- The Boy from Labasa / Nicholas Halter -- My Fijian Wantok / Sam Alasia -- He is the Very Model of a Pacific Historian / Robert Cribb -- Bibliography of Brij V. Lal's Academic Writings / Compiled by Doug Munro.
- "It is a pleasure to commend this collection of very different essays that celebrate, reflect upon and extend the life and work of a remarkable scholar. Although I have had, at times, a close association with Brij Lal's life and work, I have learned much from reading this book. It provokes further thought about the course of democracy in Fiji, and the very sorry state and future of Pacific history and the humanities in academia. Here is a timely assertion of the significance and major contribution that courageous scholars such as Brij have made to the study and public awareness of these areas of concern"--Jacqueline Leckie, University of Otago.
- 9781760461225 ebook
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Technical Details:
- Ebook accessible via internet.
View MARC record | catkey: 29960969