Wheat Quality For Improving Processing And Human Health [electronic resource] / edited by Gilberto Igrejas, Tatsuya M. Ikeda, Carlos Guzmán
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2020.
- 1st ed. 2020.
- Physical Description:
- XIII, 557 pages 54 illustrations, 40 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Igrejas, Gilberto
Ikeda, Tatsuya M.
SpringerLink (Online service)
- Ch 1: The importance of wheat -- Ch 2: Wheat gluten protein structure and function: something new under the sun? -- Ch 3: Starch and starch-associated proteins: impacts on wheat grain quality -- Ch 4: Contribution of Genetic Resources to Grain Storage Protein CompositionandWheat Quality -- Ch 5: Durum wheat storage protein composition and the role of LMW-GS in quality -- Ch 6: Gluten analysis -- Ch 7: Proteomics as a tool in gluten protein research -- Ch 8: Genotypic and environmental effects on wheat technological and nutritional quality -- Ch 9: Improving wheat nutritional quality through biofortification -- Ch 10: Phenolic compounds in wheat kernels: genetic and genomic studies of biosynthesis and regulation -- Ch 11: Wheat cell wall polysaccharides (dietary fibre) -- Ch 12: Grain Quality in Breeding -- Ch 13: High throughput testing of key wheat quality traits in hard red spring wheat breeding programs -- Ch 14: Molecular marker development and application for improving qualities in bread wheat -- Ch 15: Durum Wheat Products, Couscous -- Ch 16: Understanding the mechanics ofwheat grain fractionation and the impact ofpuroindolines on milling and product quality -- Ch 17: The impact of processing on potentially beneficial wheat grain components for human health -- Ch 18: Fusarium species infection in wheat: impact on quality and mycotoxin accumulation -- Ch 19: Effects of environmental changes on the allergen content of wheat grain -- Ch 20: Health hazards associated with wheat and gluten consumption in susceptible individuals and status of research on dietary therapies -- Ch 21: FODMAPs in wheat.
- Wheat Quality for Improving Processing and Human Health brings together an international group of leading wheat scientists to outline highly relevant and diverse aspects and the latest advances in our understanding of the world's most consumed cereal. Topics covered include LMW glutenins, starch-related proteins, and the impact of processing on composition and consumer health. Individual chapters focus on important factors such as FODMAPs, protein structure, dough viscoelasticity and fumonisins. The environmental effects on allergen content are comprehensively covered, as are phenolic compounds and molecular markers. The major quality screening tools and genetic resources are reviewed in depth. Gluten is a major focus of this work with chapters dedicated to health effects, analytical methods and standards, proteomics and mutant proteins. Starting in 2015, wheat quality scientists from across the globe have united to develop the Expert Working Group for Improving Wheat Quality for Processing and Health under the umbrella of the Wheat Initiative. This joint effort provides a framework to establish strategic research and organisation priorities for wheat research at the international level in both developed and developing countries. This Expert Working Group aims to maintain and improve wheat quality for processing and health under varying environmental conditions. The Group focuses on a broad range of wheat quality issues including seed proteins, carbohydrates, nutrition quality and micronutrient content, grain processing and food safety. Bioactive compounds are also considered, both those with negative effects such as allergens and mycotoxins, and those with positive effects such as antioxidants and fibre. The Group also works in the development of germplasm sets and other tools that promote wheat quality research. Wheat quality specialists working on the wheat value chain, and nutritionists will find this book a useful resource to increase and update their knowledge of wheat quality, nutrition and health issues. .
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 29987066