Diabetes Complications, Comorbidities and Related Disorders [electronic resource] / edited by Enzo Bonora, Ralph A. DeFronzo
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2020.
- 2nd ed. 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 95 illustrations, 76 illustrations in color. eReference : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Bonora, Enzo, DeFronzo, Ralph A., and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Diabetes and obesity -- Diabetes and dyslipidemia -- Metabolic syndrome -- Ageing and diabetes -- Hypertension and diabetes -- Diabetes and the cardiovascular system -- Pathogenesis of microvascular complications -- Diabetes and the kidney,. Diabetes and the eye -- Diabetes and the nervous system -- Diabetic foot -- Diabetes and cancer -- Diabetes, bone and joints -- Diabetes and the skin -- Diabetes and periodontal disease -- Diabetes and sexual disorders -- Diabetes and NAFLD -- Diabetes secondary to other diseases -- Ketoacidosis and the hyperosmolar non ketosic syndrome -- Hypoglycemia -- Pregnancy and diabetes -- Diabetes, depression and cognitive disorders -- Burden and sustainability of diabetes in the world.
- This book provides the reader with comprehensive information on the interactions between diabetes and a wide range of comorbid conditions and on disease management in such patients. It has the aim of empowering health care providers in their daily battle against the disease and its consequences. Diabetes has been identified by WHO and the United Nations as a medical emergency because of the increase in its global prevalence, which may reach one billion in three to four decades if the trend remains unchanged. Despite improved care that is helping to prolong life, diabetes impacts substantially on the quality of life of those affected and kills or disables several million people each year. The disease is systemic because all organs, tissues, and cells suffer in the presence of hyperglycemia and are damaged by the diabetic milieu. Unfortunately, most patients with diabetes will consequently experience chronic diabetic complications. This book will be of value for all physicians and nurses who care for patients with diabetes and face the challenge of treating hyperglycemia and related acute and chronic complications.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Part Of:
- Springer Nature eReference
View MARC record | catkey: 29987431